Skill Support for
A Free-of-Charge* Skills Training Solution for Businesses
‘Skills Support for the Workforce’ is a new initiative for small and medium sized (SME) businesses in Hertfordshire, the South East Midlands and Northamptonshire. It offers fully-funded training and qualifications to support lesser-skilled individuals improve their career opportunities and their existing skills and knowledge through work-based learning. The Skills Support for the Workforce programme is funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) and co-financed by the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) so training is free.
What can the programme offer you?
Skills Support for the Workforce offers a range of unitised programmes tailored to meet the needs of you, the employer, to overcome skills gaps and shortages within your workforce. The programme will work with you to analyse your business needs and identify training programmes/ qualifications specifically for any identified individual employee, to improve their skills and competency, and the training can be delivered in the work place to minimise time off the job.
What are the benefits for your organisation?
- Improved workforce skills
- Increases employee motivation and staff retention
- Improves employee productivity and effectiveness
- Has an impact on the bottom line, through increased profitability
- Leads to better business practices
- Flexible choice of learning units
- On or off site training, delivered at a time and place to suit you
- Content tailored incorporating your business objectives and key corporate messages if required
- Free of charge.
What are the benefits to your employees?
- Opportunity to learn new and relevant skills
- Sense of worth and value within the workplace
- Improved performance
- Increased personal development
- Career growth and progression, including the opportunity to move onto intermediate and higher apprenticeships.
Is my business eligible?
You must be a:
- Small and medium sized businesses, employing up to 250 employees
- Be based within one of the following areas Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) Area: Hertfordshire, South East Midlands or Northamptonshire
- Be a private sector organisation; and
- For Hertfordshire businesses must be in one of the following sectors: Research and Development; Life Sciences; Telecoms; ICT; Hi-Tech Engineering; Digital Media; Low Carbon Technology; Health Care; Retail; Financial and Business Services; or Film and Media
- For South East Midlands businesses must be in one of the following sectors: Advanced Manufacturing/Engineering; High Performance Engineering; The Green Economy; Motor Sport; Logistics; Business and Digital Services; Creative Industries; Visitor Economy; Business and Financial Services; Care and Health Services; and Sustainable Construction
- For Northamptonshire businesses must be in one of the following sectors: Logistics; High Performance Technology; Food and Drink or Health and Social Care
Who in your workforce is eligible?
- Anyone aged 19+ years or over
- Individuals who have no formal qualifications or who have achieved GSCEs at grades D-G
- Currently employed by a SME based within the Hertfordshire or the Southeast Midlands, working 16 hours or more per week.